Senior Electrical Engineer
Location: Mountain View, CA
Job Type: Full Time
A leading Medical Device company is looking to hire a Senior Electrical Engineer. This is a direct hire position with the company based in Mountain View, CA. If you are interested in exploring this interesting opportunity.
The Senior Electrical Engineer is responsible for leading the design, development, testing and integration of analog and digital electronics used on Company’s high performance ultrasound systems. This person is expected to work closely with other hardware/FPGA and software/DSP engineers to develop creative design solutions in front-end and power electronics and digital sub-systems and communications interfaces that allow performance differentiation along with manufacturability and reliability. This person will also be responsible for working with test engineering and service to evaluate and address manufacturing and field issues.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for specification, design and development of system architecture, high-speed digital sub-systems (CPU/MCU, GPU, FPGA, DSP) and communications interfaces as well as analog front-end (transmit/receive) and power electronics
- Develop models and simulations to prove out design concepts
- Capture electrical design schematics and oversee and approve PCB layout
- Write detailed functional specifications and hardware design descriptions; draft test protocols and perform design verification to support the design control process.
- Test and verify hardware to ensure specifications are met; modify designs based on measurements and/or simulations.
- Participate in technical design reviews, risk assessments and failure mode effects analysis
- Ensure reliability, performance and cost targets are met
- Oversee electrical safety and EMC testing. Keep current on all relevant safety and electrical compliance standards and educate the team when changes occur.
- Support installed base and customers by addressing site issues, troubleshooting reported problems, implementing supplier design requests
- Work with Manufacturing Test Engineering to debug failed boards and components, conduct root cause analysis and develop and document test/debug methods
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering (or related field) with a minimum of 10 years of experience (MSEE preferred).
- Hands on experience with test equipment such as: oscilloscopes, multimeters, power supplies, spectrum analyzers, function generators and logic analyzers are essential along with engineering test development and manufacturing test development desired.
- Experience with processors/microcontrollers, CPLDs and FPGAs along with digital communications interfaces, e.g. I2C, SPI, PCIE, USB, HDMI.
- Experience in guiding PWB layout designers to produce board designs for high speed, high voltage, low noise, DFM, DFT as well as EMI minimization.
- Knowledge of switching power supply design techniques
- Experience with rechargeable battery technology and charging circuits and algorithms.
- Knowledge of schematic capture software (OrCAD or Mentor Graphics Expedition desired).
- Programming skills in Lab Windows, C and Verilog/VHDL desired.
- Medical Device design experience preferred.
- Experience with the IEC60601 compliance process for EMC and Safety desired.